Friday, October 5, 2018

Langkawi birds

Great hornbills at Gunung Raya, Langkawi
I have just spent a holiday in the wonderful island of Langkawi, off the northwest coast of Malaysia. While there, I took two bird-watching excursions with two different companies. One was with a well-established group called, JungleWalla (love the name!) I had an expert guide, Elis, plus a driver and one other bird spotter.

Another trip was booked through our hotel with a new group called Darulaman Sanctuary Langkawi. Fendi was my knowledgeable guide and an enthusiastic birder. He helped me capture this photo of the Great Hornbill. It's taken though a telescope using my mobile camera. The light rain that was falling at the time adds to the mystical effect, I think.

Together, we visited several spots around the island. We started at a low-tide estuary where the kingfishers hang out. Unfortunately, at this point my zoom decided to pack it in. As it happened, I had a better time without a camera, just watching through my binoculars.

On both trips we went up Gunung Raya, which, at 880 metres, is the main mountain in Langkawi. Hornbills and forest birds can be seen here. Along the way, we saw macaque monkeys and spectacled monkeys. Another good spot was an open field and a mangrove wetland near the airport.

Over the following days I did a few walks on my own around the Laman Padi, just off the main street of Jalan Pantai Chenang. The rice paddy revealed a few more birds to add to the list.

Over several days I spotted a total of 42 species, including many so called “lifers”

Lesser whistling duck
Black crowned night heron
Little heron
Cattle egret
Intermediate egret
Little egret
Pond heron
Brahminy kite
White bellied sea eagle
Crested goshawk
Red wattled lapwing
Common sandpiper
Wood sandpiper
Peaceful dove
Spotted dove
Swift
Brown winged kingfisher
Collared kingfisher
Common kingfisher
White throated kingfisher
Dollar bird
Great hornbill
Oriental pied hornbill
Golden bellied gerygone
Black naped oriole
White throated fantail
House crow
Brown shrike
Tiger shrike
Brown throated sunbird
Scaly breasted munia
White headed munia
Eurasian tree sparrow
Paddyfield pipit
Baya weaver
Common myna
Hill myna
Asian glossy starling
Asian brown flycatcher
Yellow vented bulbul
Pacific swallow
Rufous bellied swallow

Thanks to my wonderful guides. I hope to come back to Langkawi again!


No comments: