Saturday, October 6, 2018

Brown-winged kingfisher Langkawi

Brown-winged kingfisher    



There are eight species of kingfishers in Langkawi, some of which migrate in from other areas, spending just a few months on the island. I managed to see four species of kingfishers:

Brown-winged kingfisher (Halcyon amauroptera)
Collared kingfisher (Todiramphus chloris)
Common kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)
White-throated kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis)

From my experience, the White-throated kingfisher was the most common. It managed to pop up on most of my bird watching outings. It has a habit of sitting on the telegraph lines, watching the surroundings. Unfortunately I did not get a photo of the White-throated.

This photo of the rarer Brown-winged kingfisher was taken on my first day, right before my zoom lense froze.


No comments: