Friday, July 15, 2016

Variegated fairywrens in suburban Perth garden



I'm catching up on posting about some exciting new sightings.

On an extremely hot day in March 2016, my eye was attracted to some movement in one of the outdoor birdbaths. Imagine my surprise when my focus of the binoculars revealed a pair of variegated fairywrens.

quickly reached for my brand new Panasonic Lumix DMC Z200 and these photos of the male were  taken through the glass window.




At this time of year the birds are in eclipse non- breeding plumage and the male has just a bare suggestion of azure blue around the head, blue tail and chestnut shoulder patch.

You can see the normal breeding plumage of the male in the photos of Graham Chapman

The birds stayed around for about 20 minutes, jumping in and out of the water, and haven't been seen since.

No comments: